Healthy whole wheat peanut butter sandwiches topped with a drippy, warm peanut butter and jelly “syrup”, these pancakes whip up in less than 20 minutes.
The other night I was thinking about my dad and his peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. You see, there’s a story there.
If my dad had a long day of fishing ahead of him, he would always make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on wheat bread to take with him. He’d pack it up in a plastic baggy and off he’d go. Here’s the catch…he would hardly ever actually eat the sandwich.
Instead, it became this thing he did because he believed it was good luck to take the sandwich with him regardless if he ate it or not. And he’d usually get so busy fishing that he wouldn’t eat the sandwich or anything at all. Therefore I always associated peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with my dad and his fishing trips.
I mean I’m not surprised. I’m sure many fisherman out there have “good luck charms” of sorts. For some reason this came up in my mind before I fell asleep the other night and I knew I had to make a peanut butter and jelly recipe in memory of my dad’s weird habit.
Since Wade and I have breakfast for dinner EVERY week I usually make whole wheat pancakes, eggs, and bacon. We don’t get tired of it. It’s easy and delicious, how could we? Realizing how often I make pancakes on a regular basis I figured I should jazz those babies up with my peanut butter and jelly craving.
And that’s how these PB&J pancakes came to life. There’s a little bit of peanut butter in the actual batter of the pancakes and then I leave it optional for you to top your pancakes with the melty peanut butter and jelly. But I mean…is it really optional? 🙂
Whole Wheat Peanut Butter and Jelly Pancakes
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: Serves: 2-3 (about 7-8 pancakes)||Total:|
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. dry sweetener of choice (I used stevia)
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup cashewmilk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp. organic creamy peanut butter (separated) (I used Nut 'n' Better Creamy Peanut Butter)
- 2 Tbsp. jelly of choice
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Melt 2 Tbsp. of peanut butter in a small bowl in the microwave, about 20 seconds. Add in the egg, milk, vanilla extract, and 2 Tbsp. of melty peanut butter. Mix well until just combined. Do not overmix as it will result in tougher pancakes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spray pan with coconut oil cooking spray. Once pan is heated, add 3-4 Tbsp. of batter for each pancake. Wait until bubbles start to form on the edges of the pancake. Flip and cook on the other side. Remove pancakes from pan. Continue to make pancakes in pan until you run out of batter.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. of jelly and 2 Tbsp. of peanut butter in separate bowls in the microwave, about 20 seconds. Top pancakes with the warm peanut butter and jelly. Enjoy!
What’s the best way you’ve had a peanut butter inspired food?
Linking up with Katie for Marvelous in my Monday and Heather for Friday Favorites