Time for another Friday Favorites!
Christmas is approaching and I’m not ready. Although I am ready for a nice break from work to spend time with Wade’s and my family. I swear gift-giving only grows harder as I age. I never know what to get people anymore. I did see this graphic earlier this week. No truer words ever spoken.
I think I’ve finally figured out a couple of things to get Wade. He is by far the hardest to shop for. You know all those gift guides out there for men? Yeah, they don’t apply to Wade. I’ve read them all. Or just about. Every time I find one, I scroll through, shaking my head, saying to myself “Nope, nope, nope”.
Got any creative gift ideas for the men in your life? And by this I’m not saying you have more than one lover…although it sounded like that after I just typed it. I mean the men like your father, brother, husband, etc. Not that I’m saying you have many relations with lots of men!
I’m going to continue on to the Friday Favorites before I get into trouble.
Five Things I Ate this Week
- Crockpot rotisserie style chicken. This recipe is SO simple, why have I not tried it before? I got the recipe idea from Lindsey at The Lean Green Bean. It’s a great way to make a lot of chicken go a long ways for the week. Use this trick for your next food prep!
- Lunch at Jenna’s Asian Kitchen. I give this place high marks for great Asian food in Austin. Lettuce cups are so fun because it’s not just a tasty meal, it’s an experience. With building the lettuce cups to your liking.
- More cookies from the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap 2015. I can’t wait to reveal more about this year’s swap to you all. Including my own recipe I sent out to my 3 blogger matches.
- Breakfast for dinner. Because it’s easy, it’s tasty, and it’s become a staple dinner in our household. By the way, if you’re wondering what pancake recipe I use, it is Skinnytaste’s Whole Wheat Pancakes. Since Wade is a huge fan of all things bread if I can make them whole wheat and he’ll eat them? Winning.
- Iced Tea flavored Kettlecorn. What is this madness?! I don’t know how they created this divine treat, but I want more of it. Courtesy of the Austin Gourmet Popcorn company. I had a coupon for a free mini size bag. Nice way to lour me in, Austin Gourmet Popcorn…well played.
Five Things Going On
- Chili cook-off at work. This Tuesday was the great chili cookoff at my work. There were 4 participants, including myself. Two vegetarian chilis (because we do have some vegetarian folks in our office) and two meat chilis. Mine was the latter as I made venison chili to share with my coworkers. Although I did not win first place (one of the vegetarian chilis did), I still got high remarks from my coworkers on the flavor of my chili. And I LOVED it, as did Wade. I need to share the recipe with you all sometime. We had to come up with a creative name for our chili entries and thus mine became “Where’s the Beef?” Y’all know it’s funny.
- Trail of Lights with Wade. Christmas lights seemed to be the theme of the week because Wade and I made a trip to check out some epic light displays in some nearby neighborhoods in Cedar Park, TX. But the holy grail of the light tours was the Trail of Lights. It was beautiful. Word of caution: if you ever plan on going to the Trail of Lights, get there really early. We learned that the hard way. Traffic is truly hell and we will not be going back next year. Too many people, too much time spent in traffic. But the light displays were on point!
- I met Sally from Sally’s Baking Addiction! As I mentioned last week, I was planning on going to her book signing tour at the Austin location for her latest book, Sally’s Candy Addiction. She was a joy to listen to and meet in person. She’s humble, vibrant, and super sweet–just like her blog treats! I had her sign a baking spatula. 🙂
- I have a new laptop background. And it’s the best thing ever. Cats in Austin. It’s amazing how much a new computer background that makes you smile when you open up your laptop in the morning to start your work day (as this is on my work laptop) can start your day on the right foot.
- Wade and I just finished Game of Thrones, Season 5! We are all caught up and anxiously awaiting the release of season 6 in April. We both feel so lost without Game of Thrones now since we have been keeping up with it regularly in the evenings. Any great show recommendations?
Five Links I Loved
- Why your Ideal Weight isn’t What you Think by Popsugar.
By far the best article I’ve read in the past month. “Those 5-10 extra pounds are your spontaneity, your freedom, your love.”
2. Ten Super Simple Food Photography Tips for Beginners by Clean Eats, Fast Feets.
Great roundup of tips here. ALWAYS use natural lighting if you can. That’s my number one rule.
3. Funfetti-fied! Funfetti Sugar Cookie House by Studio DIY
Because it’s a freaking funfetti gingerbread house!
4. Boozy Hot Chocolate with Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream by The Almond Eater
Can I have 5 of these?
5. The Most Instagrammed Locations in Every State by Cool Material
Fascinating. Arkansas’ location was unexpected. Texas’ makes since to me.
Linking up with Friday Favorites on Life in Leggings and Marvelous Monday on Healthy Diva Life.