Time for another Friday Favorites!
Another Christmas in the books. It’s cliche to say that the years seem to go faster as we age, but they were right! Christmas was a little different this year in many ways. My father’s first Christmas absence was a gaping hole for my mother and I. Luckily we had Wade’s family take us in for their family Christmas this year at his parent’s house in Cabot, Arkansas.
I was dreading a Christmas that was so vastly different than previous ones, but it actually turned out to be one of the best Christmas’ to date.
Wade and I made the trip from Austin to Cabot on December 23rd. We celebrated Christmas on December 26th when Wade’s stepbrother, his wife, Wade’s stepsister, and her daughter joined us that afternoon. I left with my mother to return to Northwest Arkansas on the 27th, and she returned me to Cabot on the 31st. Wade and I are staying here until our departure early in the morning on January 2nd. We have to make it back to Austin to get ready to see the Arkansas Razorback Liberty bowl football game! Go Hogs!
I’m so grateful for this extended family that’s soon to be my own once I marry Wade. They already feel like family. Just goes to show what I had mentioned previously about “sometimes you make your own family” can ring very true. Even (or especially) during the holidays.
Let’s get to the Friday Favorites roundup, shall we?
Five Things I Ate this Week
- My healthy baked taquitos and a modified version of the sweet sesame green beans (minus the sesame seeds) on Christmas Eve with Wade’s parents and my mother.
- Christmas dinner with family and soon-to-be family.
- Dinner at my mother’s house. Pan fried catfish, sweet potato fries, and strawberry spinach salad
- Blaze pizza with my mother and Wade.
- Black eyed peas for New Year’s Eve! I had to stop at the store to pick some up to take back to Wade’s parents’ house. Last year when we were visiting Austin for a week, I also picked up a can of black eyed peas…only to remember that I had no can opener at the hotel. I used one of the hotel restaurant’s butter knives. Hey, can’t go without them for New Year’s. I’m too superstitious.
Five Things Going On
- Christmas with Wade, my mother, Wade’s parents, his stepbrother and his wife, and his stepsister and her daughter (Wade’s niece). Oh, and Callie, the Shih Tzu. Can’t forget about Callie.
2. White elephant gift exchange with friends.
3. A review of Amanda Loves Blogging Design Services is coming your way soon! She is the one who helped me get this blog back in tip-top shape by designing my fancy new header, installing the Foodie Theme for me,
and organizing my recipes. Watch for the full review coming soon!
4. Victoria’s Secret Semi-Annual Sale. I may not be much of a shopper, but I had to hit up this after-Christmas
sale. One new bra at half price and one new thong. Thank you, VS.
5. Getting ready to watch the Razorbacks play Kansas State in the Liberty Bowl! Go Hogs!
Five Links I Loved
- But what do you want to be thanked for? by Becoming Minimalist.This is a thinker.
2. Cornbread French Toast with Caramelized Onions and Cream Cheese by My Name is Yeh.
An interesting new take on french toast! I’m a huge fan of cornbread anything.
3. Two Metrics that really don’t Matter Much: Bounce Rate and Time on Site by Katy Widrick.
Don’t worry too much about these metrics when you’re looking over your website’s Google Analytics. Makes sense.
4. If you’re 30% through your Life, you’re likely 90% through your Best Relationships by Quartz
Such an intriguing article! It makes me want to move back to Arkansas to be closer to my family and Wade’s
5. Snickerdoodles for Two by Budget Bytes
But can the two cookies be for one?…I think so. 😉