Time for another Friday Favorites!
Thanksgiving festivities came and went in the blink of an eye. My mother’s visit to Austin was too short. I miss her already. Even the visit to Tyler, TX for Wade’s family Thanksgiving was wonderful. I was reminded how thankful I am to have the friends, family, and soon-to-be-in-laws in my life.
I hope your Thanksgiving went well! And for those who did not celebrate Thanksgiving, I hope this past week has treated you well, all the same.
Let’s get to the Friday Favorites shall we?
Five Things I Ate this Week
- Venison chili. We had our first really cold spell here in Austin this past weekend so homemade chili was a must. Confession: when I started preparing the venison for this recipe I started crying. I was thinking about my father and how he was the last one to handle this venison, process the meat, and wrap it up to be stored in the freezer. I’ve always said the best recipes are made with love, and I had to remember the love he had for deer hunting in order to get through making the chili without losing it.Just goes to show that old wounds like losing a parent never fully heal, but they do get better over time.
- Dinner at Texas Roadhouse with Wade. Because when in Texas…I do enjoy their bowls of peanuts they bring to every table so you can crack those babies open and snack on ’em until dinner arrives.
Voodoo Doughnuts with my mother and Wade. Voodoo Doughnuts are a famous doughnut shop from Portland. This is their first shop outside of the Portland area and I’m thrilled they chose Austin for their next establishment.
- I posted this photo on Instagram last week. I present to you the mountain of rolls that accompanied Wade’s family Thanksgiving this year.
- Sweet treats with Wade and Jessica at the Omni Barton Gingerbread House Show on Wednesday night. I couldn’t believe they had a whole entire table of beautiful, petite treats for guests. For FREE. We didn’t even pay a ticket fee to get in. I have learned to value more free things in Austin. Just find free, available parking can be a chore at times.
Five Things Going On
- My coworkers decided to participate in “Movember” for the month of November. It’s basically another way to do No-shave November. But we held a competition at my office for the man with the best ‘stache. The winner would receive a $100 gift card for a local barber shop. We had a hell of a time voting for the best, they’re all so good in their own way!
- As I mentioned, Jessica, Wade, and I attended a Gingerbread House Competition on Wednesday evening. I was hoping there would be more gingerbread houses in the running for prizes, but it was a fun little date night all the same. Some of the houses were very impressive.
- We put up our Christmas tree! Okay, so it’s a bit short in stature but I can assure you it is not short on holiday cheer. A small tree for an apartment for now. We will get a larger tree eventually when we move into a house.
- I’m planning on seeing the final Hunger Games movie this weekend. If you’ve seen it, how was it?! No spoilers, please.
- I’m going to Sally’s Baking Addiction book tour tonight with my fellow Austinite buddy, Jessica! Sally’s recipes are to die for. All you have to do is scan through her recipes on her website to start craving sweets like mad.
Five Links I Loved
- Healthy Eating on a Budget: 7 Tips by Ari’s Menu
Number 1 is what I have been consistently doing for Wade and I ever since we moved in together. Still working on Number 4. Wade has trouble with this one…
2. 7 Things that will Happen when you Start doing Planks Every Day by Lifehack
Planks are one of the best core exercises. I always feel the burn!
3. How Family Dinner has Changed the Past 100 Years by Wimp
I find this video fascinating. It seems like we used to concentrate more on home cooked meals with wholesome ingredients, then had a few decades of fast and ready-made food, and now we are coming back around again to the wholesome foods.
4. 21 Things life is too Short to Not Do by Though Catelog
Number 3 is one of my personal favorites. I wish more people would think about Numbers 15 and 20.
5. 10 Activities to make you Happier Today that Don’t Involve Spending Money by MindBodyGreen
Yes, yes, yes! I’ll admit I’m a saver and rarely like to splurge on myself when it comes to spending money.
Linking up with Friday Favorites on Life in Leggings and Marvelous Monday on Healthy Diva Life.